Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Three Faces of FaceBook




First, blogger.com has made huge advances in simplicity, intuitiveness and scope of offerings - as have the ancillary sites - since I last actively and one-time blogged a long time ago. Second, thank you to L, L, M, G and E for inspiring me to blog.

Third is my titled point. I blog because FaceBook has become a safe place. I feel as if I'd alienate my 'friends' if I were to post my thoughts and my proferred links on my FaceBook page. I have friends who have very different politics than I, and I don't want to offend and then I think that I have chosen cowardice. Then I rationalize that a Facebook "wall" is not the likely vehicle for substantive discussion and that, perhaps, posting on FaceBook is a poor substitute for real dialogue. Then I remember that I am pretty much addicted to FaceBook. Which raises all sorts of questions about how engaged I am with the world. And is the world becoming more and more - and inalterably, inevitably so - a virtual experience?

It's all too depressing. I can't be the real me. The virtual me is not the real me. And the real me does not want to offend anyone in the virtual world. I need multiple personalities.

So I am going to try to carve out me in this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, i dont know how to follow this blog. I think it is something you have to select on your set up. have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed my gadgets on the side and tried it myself, which seemed to work. I sent you and invite via the blogger site. Thank you so much for your time on this!!

    ReplyDelete