Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Proust? No! Oprah? Yes!"

A person who lives in my neighborhood (there are basically two types: female/mother/pushing double stroller/Jessica Simpson type sunglasses/pony tail/attttttitudunal or male/father/baseball cap/tee shirt with slogan/chagrin of watching small offspring muted by the glass bottle of beer in left hand/constantly wondering where the girl he married went/atttttitudunal) was walking in front of me today and the back of her shirt read "Proust? No!  Oprah?  Yes!"

What the hell does that mean?  I cannot even fathom?  But I would not wear it proudly.  I once had a shirt that read "Swarthmore College.  Guilt without sex" and I gave it away cause I didn't really want to wear it.  Even though I had bought it.

It has to do with snark.

The woman's shirt had no snark.  The shirt bore only embarrassment.  And she did not wear it with any kind of irreverent coolness.  I come to this conclusion because she was in stretchy clam diggers, Jessica Simpson type sunglasses and was pushing a double-wide stroller.  I am mean-spirited that way.

My college shirt had no snark.  I wouldn't want to wear it on campus and it doesn't work off campus.  It did work as a really crappy hand-me-down to my beloved straight-laced brother. I am mean-spirited that way too.

Somebody remind me the difference between misogynistic and misanthropic.

1 comment:

  1. 2 comments:

    My bro in law bought me a shirt that says "You say tomato, I say "fuck you." Funny but I only wear around the house.

    I once saw a minivan that had a bumper sticker that read "will trade husband for beanie babies" When I went to pass the minivan, the husband was driving.

    ReplyDelete