Saturday, April 17, 2010

Veganism and Hedonism

I had a late lunch at "Raw", a raw food counter in the Chicago French Market yesterday.  http://www.frenchmarketchicago.com/vendor/raw   I have a tuna salad sandwich that had no tuna in it, accompanied by minutely diced beets that we in something saline, and a dried  assembly that looked like granola but tasted like something served at a bar to increase alcohol sales.
The meal was delicious.  The flavors were full, clean and fun in their distinction from - say - real tuna in your tuna salad.  The bazillion grains in the bread made for a heartiness that is typically missing in bread.  I love beets, but have never thought to eat them raw and un-pickled.  And the whole meal afterwards did not sit well with me; it simply did not sit.  I felt sublime.  More sublime than when I eat sashimi.
I always thought I felt the most spiritual - indeed, very near to what I figure would be the state of things felt by one who has spent years of dedication to Buddhism and this I achieved by eating! - whenever I ate sashimi.  Nay, rice!  Just the raw fish please.
And then I picked up the PETA "Go Vegetarian, Go Vegan!" brochure.  http://www.peta.org/vsk/  It was sitting, one of many copies, alongside the sample agave at the "Raw" counter.  I had eaten my faux tuna salad lunch and felt sublime and thought perhaps I would travel the raw food path indefinitely, if not 5 days out of 7.  I put the brochure and went on a 4 1/2 hour walk into various Chicago neighborhoods, met a bunch of friends for cocktails (Miller Lite draft, vodka on the rocks with blue cheese stuff olives) and then dinner (1/2 beef brisket sandwich on a processed and no doubt bleached flour roll and a couple of french fries likely and most beautifully deep-fried in hoof renderings).
This morning, I picked up the PETA publication and started to read.  It's not enough to present me with photographs of appealing meals matched with easy to accomplish recipes.  No.  I must wade - I cannot avoid for each page is replete with these tales and I think I know why vegans are so skinny because there is no joy in being consciously aware, excruciatingly aware, of the pain avoided by eating a vegetable or grain - through harrowing descriptions of the care, feeding, treatment and butchering - though, note, fishing is similiarly horrible - of our common menu.
I have trouble processing - I chose this word - whether there is an inherent conflict between the fact that humans eat animals and the facts surrounding being readied to be eaten.  I guess it's kind of funny that sashimi is not cooked and I like it so much, but the fact of the matter is that the fish died so I could eat it.  And I really like sashimi.  Thus, I present "hedonism" in its glorious definitions and I note that hedonism has to do with one's self; the viewpoint is turned inward.  As it should be.  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/p/hedonism  What brings pleasure is intrinsically good.  Plus, Dilbert nails it:

5 comments:

  1. It took a Dilbert cartoon for me to get where you were going with this...but I like it. And I need to ask - why bother with the moniker "tuna salad" sandwich. Wouldn't it be better just to call it a salad sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a side note - I love the new description of self, hopefully inspired by my IFC...and the counter seems to be working just fine. Did you do "unique" users, or are you counting all hits? Initially I did all hits, but then I realized that was stupid because when it said 108 hits, I had to admit that at least 106 of them were my own...I mean, a blog artist like myself will frequently refer back to her masterpiece, and that's what I was doing...HA...actually I was just wondering if anyone had actually cyber-visited me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh! Good advice re the direction of my piece. That is really interesting to me because I knew my conclusion and had played around w the two words in the title; hedonism as anathema to veganism, or at least as proposed by the happy PETA handout.
    Thank you for liking my description of self. I think the co-founder is not able to contribute right now (read: living a realized life and really trying to get a job. writing. Cf. moi).
    I did all users as I could not bear to see the number of unique numbers. or unique number.
    thank you so much for your help re the counter! i was trying to figure out the other gadgets.
    And you ARE and artist! with a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never felt sublime after eating. i think i am missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Lo, yes, inspired by IFC! I think I shall do a blog re your IFC who ghost-haunts me. Lori, I think sublime after eating has an awful lot to do w someone else preparing serving cleaning up.

    ReplyDelete