Monday, June 7, 2010

I find it ironic that (a) I don't know for sure the meaning of "irony"; and (b) I am a perennial end user of electronics and Mr. Coffee has been around for like 24 years

I bought a Wii last Tuesday and today it stopped working.  I re-plugged in everything.  Note terms of art.  I used lots of swear words, which are not terms of art but are terms of fucking great art, and to no avail.  I berated my children for not presenting me with solutions and merely - and I am speaking of one particular child under the height of 5 feet - helicoptering around a non-Wii containing room with a down turned set of lips and a doleful look of eyeballs and a repeated utterance [sic] ("utterances"?) that "it doesn't work".
And I didn't have the receipt. But I had the credit card (score!) and I knew which day I bought it on [sic] (thank heavens that federal holidays are a point of reference for the memory-challenged but I still have to remember which holiday and whether my home state has receded from the Union.  See immigrants, gay marriage, abortion, states rights, Texas' take on textbooks.)
So I piled both kids, guilty and non-guilty but I am the judge, jury, executioner and chauffeur, into the car [sic] (true) and we went to Costco, which as far as I am concerned is apparently the cradle to grave of bulk purchases and outdoor furniture suites that require a big ass back yard, and I was able to return the Wii, get credit on my card, and purchase another Wii. Took the new Wii back home, put it together and it did not work.
It turns out that the extension cord had blown.  And the irony is that I thought all along that it was the electronics that were faulty.  And I am not sure if the word "irony" is correctly used.  And it's ironic - or is it, cause I don't know - that I don't know if it's ironic that I don't know if "ironic" is correctly applied.
I am a liberal arts major (references to the esteemed Lex Loci Lori) and incapable of remembering the correct usage of words in the English Language when I am, more precisely, an English Literature major, and I am completely reliant upon being reliant upon the infallibility of the electronic world.  It is binary, yes?  Or have we moved on from punch cards and that really really big computer at Penn?  It is intuitive, yes?  It has anticipated our human liabilities and is designed to circumvent our ineptitude and slow learning curves, yes?

And it was always the extension cord.

I think I will exchange "stupid" for "ironic".

No comments:

Post a Comment